Moving to a new city can be both exciting and daunting. You may feel overwhelmed navigating a new environment, with no friends or family to rely on, but the abundant resources and activities this fantastic city offers will make you feel at home in no time. With a little effort and an open mind, you can easily find your community and make lifelong friends in the Mile High City.
So, with that said, let us teach you some tips and tricks for how to meet people in Denver.
Related: Is Denver a Good Place to Live?
What Are the Locals in Denver Like?
Denverites are passionate about their active lifestyles. During the autumn and winter, they can be found skiing and snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains, and in the spring and summer, they enjoy playing frisbee and cycling along the South Platte River. When one of the 65 (on average) rainy days comes around, locals find refuge in the plentiful breweries, art galleries, restaurants, and live music venues throughout the city.
Most Denver locals are friendly. Happy to offer a smile and wave, or give their best tips for the best indie music, snowy slopes, or favorite distillery, you probably won’t have much trouble striking up a conversation. If you want to make instant friends, wear orange and blue — Broncos fans will overlook any other flaws you have as long as you wear the right colors.
Where & How to Meet People in Denver
Whether you’re a little shy or just more comfortable online, there are plenty of online resources for meeting people in Denver. Some of the best options to check out include:
- An online friend-finding app, We3 takes into account 150 different factors and then matches you in groups of three with like-minded folks who share similar traits, interests, and goals, increasing your chances of finding solid friendships.
- Check out @riverbeatscolorado for Denver activities, restaurants, bars, and more. This Instagram account and magazine for culture and news also covers other Colorado cities as well.
- Denver’s Mile-High Magazine, 5280, owns two Instagram accounts useful for Denver newbies: @5280magazine is their main account, with the latest info on dining, culture, and politics in the city. Their other account, @5280scene, offers the inside scoop on local happenings, such as the Denver Film Festival and Denver’s largest underground music festival.
In Real Life
If you’re ready to dive into the deep end and start collecting your favorite places to hang out, try the following:
- Combine your love of sports, desire for a good beer, and urge to meet new friends by heading to one of Tap & Burger’s four Denver locations. This place always attracts crowds with games on the TVs, Happy Hour specials, and juicy, mouthwatering burgers. Ask a neighboring table for a beer recommendation or the person next to you at the bar whether the cheesecake or the brownie sundae is the better dessert.
- Whether Fido came with you or became your new buddy when you arrived, heading to one of Denver’s dog parks can help you meet other dog lovers. With both on- and off-leash options, you can try out different dog parks throughout the city to meet a wider variety of people and find the park your pooch loves best.
- Check out Bear Creek Distillery for a mix of alcohol, music, and people. While you can head there during normal business hours, take a look at some of their events for extra fun. Whiteout Wednesdays (snowboarding videos and pizza) and Vinyl Proof (an exploration of musical genres, all on vinyl) are a couple of themed events that can help you meet people who share similar interests.
- For some more IRL options, peruse our list of places to go out at night in downtown Denver, or awesome downtown bars.
Looking for Love in Denver (or Not)
Wondering how to meet people in Denver who might be looking for romance? Check out some of the best spots in Denver for meeting other singles — or for just making new friends:
- The Bar Car gives you vintage train car vibes when you enter the space. Delicious barbecue, well-priced drinks, and a small, intimate space create a perfect atmosphere for meeting and getting to know someone new.
- Grab a delicious cup of coffee from the bodega at Crema Coffeehouse & Bodega, and maybe meet your next hot date while you hang out there.
- If you want to dip your toe in the dating waters, but don’t want to commit a lot of time, consider speed dating. SpeedDenver Speed Dating offers a unique private club atmosphere instead of the nametag and shouting you might remember about past speed dating events.
Finding Your Denver Neighborhood
Denver’s diverse neighborhoods each come with a unique personality and vibe. Finding the right match when you move is critical to enjoying nearby events and activities instead of constantly spending all your time in another part of the city.
Check out our neighborhood guides to learn more about the different Denver neighborhoods and discover which ones might fit you best. Or, for a more focused guide, see our suggestions about the best places for singles to live.
How to Find Your Denver Apartment
Finding a luxury apartment where you can entertain all of your new friends can be easy and fun when you work with one of our apartment locators. Just tell us about the amenities you want and the style you’re looking for, and let us do the rest. We’ll schedule tours for the options you like the most so that you can choose the one you love.