Moving to a new city can feel seriously intimidating. Whether you plan to relocate for a job opportunity, or just for a change of pace, many questions arise when settling down somewhere new. What’s the weather like where I’m going? How do I find the perfect place to live? And, perhaps, one of the biggest questions – how will I make new friends in Austin?
For anyone moving for work, you’ll receive a slight advantage. You will automatically enter the perfect space for meeting new people by interacting with your coworkers. Even so, for anyone not moving for work, or working remotely, meeting people you enjoy spending time with isn’t always a given.
While living in Austin has many incredible benefits, like the out-of-this-world restaurants and great weather 90% of the year, our favorite part about the city is how easy it is to make friends. To help you feel at home faster when you move to ATX, we share the inside scoop here on how to meet people in Austin.
What Are the Locals in Austin Like?
Most residents nowadays aren’t from the area, which makes Austin an especially great place for making friends and meeting people. Translation: the majority of the Austinites you’ll meet also probably moved here within the last few years and have been in the exact same boat as you. While some true locals have lived here for decades, many came to the city more recently for new opportunities.
Because everyone’s been the ‘new guy’ before, everyone is incredibly welcoming to newcomers. Nearly everyone you run into will come across as friendly and will happily welcome you to join in on any of the fun activities they plan to attend. Even those true locals, who watched the city transform from a small town into the bustling city it became, will welcome new residents with open arms. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there knowing that the people in Austin will be happy to accept you.
Where & How to Meet People in Austin
Online Resources for Making Friends in Austin
As with everything else, we can look online to solve the dilemma of meeting new people. Use these resources to put yourself out there. You may be surprised how easy it is to find people looking for friends.
- Bumble BFF: We already know the Bumble app works for finding potential love interests, but they also created a version specifically for meeting friends. Like the dating app, you’ll create a profile of your interests and characteristics from which they’ll ‘match’ you with other people in your area. Bumble BFF is widely used in Austin, so don’t shy away from giving it a try.
- Facebook Groups: Whether you like to read, hike, or go to concerts, there’s an Austin-based Facebook group for it. There are even groups specifically for people new to Austin. Many popular podcasts offer Facebook groups as well, where people reach out and meet up with others in their area. TikTok star and podcast host Jenna Palek is a resident of Austin and has a Facebook group for her podcast, Fun on Weekdays, where locals can find one another.
- GroupMe: Emerging from the bigger Facebook groups that aren’t specific to Austin, like Fun on Weekdays, smaller subgroups often create spinoff GroupMe chats for people in specific cities. Find and join the ones in Austin to chat directly with local members and make plans with other residents.
How to Make Friends in Austin in Real Life
While it may make you feel more vulnerable to meet people in the wild than online, we know that if you take a risk and talk to other people while out and about, you’ll be glad you did.
- Sign Up for Workout Classes: We can’t think of anything better than participating in one of the many workout class options in Austin and making friends out of the experience. If you find yourself running into the same people at Barry’s or Core Power each afternoon, strike up a conversation with them.
- Go to Nearby Bars: With a city as fun and young as Austin, you’ll want to check out all of the exciting bars, both day and night. Head to the quirky Rainey Street, or stroll down West 6th to find a bar that fits you. These places will be bustling with residents willing to chat on any given day. Ask them what they like to do in Austin and see where the conversation goes from there. For ideas, check out our list of sports bars, distilleries, and dive bars.
- Get Outside: Literally. There are tons of great hiking, biking, and walking spots in Austin, not to mention the endless number of dog parks. The next time you take Max for a walk, forgo catching up on your favorite podcast with headphones in and instead talk with someone you encounter. You may just find another walking buddy.
Looking for Love in Austin
Finding new friends in Austin is always a possibility, and so is dating. Using apps like Bumble, Hinge, and Tinder will definitely boost your dating life. Many Austinites are active on these sites, meaning you won’t see the same 20 people over and over again. Even if you’ve never been on a dating app, now’s a great time to start.
As your friend group grows, you’ll start meeting more and more people. Friends of friends are always a great place to start when it comes to dating. When you find someone who sparks your interest, you can get the lowdown from your mutual friend. The vital intel will let you know if you should avoid them, or if you can consider it a green light.
Finding Your Austin Neighborhood
Another thing we love about Austin is that each of its neighborhoods is as unique as the individuals living in the city. Each neighborhood comes with its own personality, so it’s crucial to find the right match for you in order to find your people. For example, East Austin gives off a more artsy vibe, while downtown will feel more urban. Whatever vibe you’re looking for, there’s a location perfect for you.
Check out our full selection of neighborhood guides to find your perfect match.
How to Find Your Austin Apartment
Now that you know how simple it can be to meet people in Austin, start searching for the neighborhood that fits just right. Then, you’ll be ready to find your perfect apartment. That’s where we come in. AptAmigo’s experts will take all of the stress out of finding your new home so that all you need to think about is what you’re going to do with all of your new friends. Reach out to get started!
Brett Hayden is a native Wisconsinite turned Texan who loves exploring Austin and beyond. She has a passion for writing and traveling, which she showcases on her blog, “by, Brett Nicole.”